Throughout its history St. Paul’s has provided regular Sunday worship, men’s and women’s groups, bible study, and fellowship to children and adults intent on living out their faith not just in church but also in the world. Now part of the United Church of Christ (UCC), St. Paul’s originated as a congregation in 1879 with twelve charter members. At that time it was part of the German Evangelical Synod of North America. The church building was dedicated in February of 1880 and the congregation continues to worship in the original sanctuary – although now with modern amenities.
In 1934 the German Evangelical Synod and the German Reformed Church merged. Then, in 1957 the United Church of Christ was born out of the union of the Evangelical and Reformed Synod and the Congregational Christian Churches. Sharing in the histories of all the groups that became part of the United church of Christ has widened the heritage we claim. The Pilgrims and Puritans of Massachusetts, the German Reformed Movement in 1725 Pennsylvania, and the German Evangelical Synod founded in 1840. Smaller groups of churches of Native American, African American, Volga Germans, Armenians, Hungarians, and Hispanic Americans have also joined the United church of Christ contributing to the wishes of Jesus, “That they may all be one.” (John 17:21)
In our oneness we strive to respect one another and the diversity of life experiences each brings. We hope to keep our minds and hearts open recognizing that there is “yet more light and truth to break forth from God’s Holy Word.” It is only through prayer, and study, and testing our ideas in community that we can better discern what God is calling us to do and be. Since building the original church a Sunday school and fellowship building was dedicated in 1958 and later, the “Annex” was built, connecting the sanctuary to the fellowship hall and providing a fully accessible building.